11/12/11

Skylab Flyer Archive





       The flyer archive at Skylab Gallery is a new project started to preserve paper ephemera produced by the DIY music scene in Columbus, Ohio. The archive is housed in two flat files that Michelle Maguire generously earmarked for Skylab during the Ohio State University’s History of Art Department’s summer reorganization. 
       The flat files currently hold more than 500 flyers that were taken from my personal collection. We’ve organized these flyers according to venue, giving long-running spaces like the Legion of Doom, the 15th House, or Skylab their own sections, and categorizing fly-by-night spaces by the type of venue they represent – whether it’s a house, an art gallery, or a record store. If possible, we’ve written the designer’s name and the year the flyer was made in pencil on the back of each flyer.
        As a community archive we’re eager to expand the collection through donations from people involved in the Columbus DIY scene. We’re interested in any and all flyers that represent DIY events in Columbus from any time period. If you wish to donate but you’re unsure about giving your flyers away, please consider making a temporary loan to the flyer archive.
        In addition to serving as a historical record, we envision the flyer archive being used for research purposes, design inspiration, and, most of all, entertainment. The archive is open by appointment to all. Make an appointment or schedule a donation by emailing Skylabartspace@gmail.com or by calling 614.323.9306.

Other News:

* I'm in the Ohio Arts Council's creative writer listing.
* Jack Ramunni reads one of my poems in this episode of Late Lunch Live.
* Addie Cheges assigns and illustrates an epitaph for the Monster House, which is scheduled to die in June of 2012. It's a saying I wrote in chalk on an overhang in the basement, "No Encores in Punk Rock."
* Aaron Miller updates a list I made of every band that's played at the Monster House in honor of its 200th show.
* My aunt Britta's son Erik Kish, who was in the band Hi-Fi and the Roadburners, recently passed away. A number of newspapers in Chicago published obituaries in remembrance of his life: Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Reader, Time-Out Chicago, Huffington Post. I only met Erik once, but I feel that having his presence in my family (and his mother's - an artist herself) is one of the reasons that I felt, from a young age, that making a life out of creative endeavors is not just possible, but actually desirable. I also think that the first descriptions of "punk" I heard in my life was due to people explaining to me what he did. So, obviously, a big deal. 

No comments: