10/21/10

How I Made Money: July to October 2010


Another
depressing installment in my ongoing "How I Made Money" series.


HOW I MADE MONEY FROM JULY TO OCTOBER

 7/19/10: $13.00 from the English ground.


Found a tenner on the street in Camberwell, a neighborhood in London. With the exchange rate factored in, I’m listing it as thirteen dollars. Colleen, who I was walking with, said she wished she found a tenner too. Indeed. It was my first morning there. It paid for the cab ride to her flat.

8/5/10: $3.00 from a San Francisco Art Institute student.

I sold a copy of my comic with Sara Drake, Arty Party, to a San Francisco Art Institute student who sent a letter to me saying, “Razorcake seemed to hate your zine, which means I’ll probably like it.”

8/6/10: $14.00 from Quimby’s.

Sara and I sold out of copies of Arty Party
at Quimby’s in Chicago. We used the money to buy 2/3rds of our dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Wicker Park.

8/9/10: $4.00 from ReFINDesign for buttons.

ReFINDesign closed. I went in to collect my buttons as they were moving their wares out.

8/10/10: $245.70 from Rag-O-Rama.

Vance, the store buyer for the whole chain, bought around 500 buttons for their three locations across America. He told me I would become their new go-to-guy, and kept referring to a girl who previously made buttons for them and said she wasn’t quick enough.

8/11/10: $73.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold an art catalogue that I bought for much less.

8/11/10: $25.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Life’s Hours
, a limited edition book of poetry by a man who died from AIDS. I bought the book at the German Village garage sales for ten cents.

8/12/10: $12.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

I sang for a hardcore band called Lose The Tude. We went on tour to Canada and back. This show was in a basement in Buffalo, New York. I didn’t actually “make” this money – it was all put into the gas tank. However, this is my “share” (split between six people) of the total that I put back into the band. This amount includes merchandise sold and donations taken.

8/12/10: $8.95 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Sylvia Barnett’s Guide to Writing About Art
.

8/13/10: $9.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

Lose The Tude played a basement in St. Catherine’s, Ontario. A woman on ecstasy there kept slapping my butt and calling me Ezra Koenig because I was wearing Khaki slacks.

8/14/10: $20.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

Lose The Tude played Beit Zatoun in Toronto, Ontario. My dear friend Karla Hewitt-Blackie was in attendance. I felt like I was embarrassing myself. I gave a pro-Palestine preamble to our set.

8/15/10: $19.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

Lose The Tude played a punk house in Ottawa, Ontario. This is the show I almost fainted during and realized I had to stop singing indefinitely. By the third song I was in such intense pain in the back left quadrant of my head that I felt like I would pass out. I was basically catatonic for the rest of the night and had a residual headache the rest of tour.

8/18/10: $13.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

Lose The Tude played “The Death Church” in Montreal, Quebec. I played the sullen, seductive merch boy for this one.

8/19/10: $7.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

Lose The Tude played a public gazebo in Portland, Maine. The cops were called. The cop was cooler than everyone else there. And everyone else was pretty cool.

8/20/10: $15.00 from the Lose The Tude tour.

Lose The Tude played a punk house in New Haven, Connecticut. Just joking, we played at Yale. Or at least, I spent most of the night looking at their campus, imagining myself as the heir to an industrial baron’s wealth built on the back of exploited workers so I could study English Literature and fornicate with members of future presidential adminstrations.

8/23/10: $20.00 from Ryan Eilbeck.

I sold Ryan a tape recorder/player that I had bought the previous summer to play tapes I made at an art show of mine at ROY G BIV gallery.

8/23/10: $13.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold a book about Nostradamus.

8/24/10: $4.00 from Kevin Payne and Sarah Payne.

I met up with my family at the Red Brick, the bar my brother bartends. I happened to have my buttons with me and we looked at them to pass the time. They took some and gave me money, I think because they felt bad for me.

8/25/10: $9.00 from Half-Price Books.

I sold about ten books to Half-Price books.

8/25/10: $1.00 from Kelly Payne for a book.

My mother drove me to Half-Price books and grabbed a Far Side collection off the pile I was taking to them and gave me a dollar. I think it was her book originally.

8/26/10: $1.65 from Wholly Craft.

Wholly Craft sold one copy of Arty Party
.

8/27/10: $1.00 from Marina Goldstheyn for a button.

Marina needed a button of Ohio to give to a friend for their birthday. I thought I had one but I didn’t. She took something else.

8/28/10: $2.00 from Jess Kelly’s garage sale for buttons.

By all reports two little neighborhood girls were taken in by my buttons and their father bought some for them. They wore them willy-nilly.

8/29/10: $2.00 from Jess Kelly’s garage sale for buttons.

Day two, same scenario repeated.

8/31/10: $16.90 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold a book about Angkor Wat that I took from the refuse pile at the Fine Arts library.

8/31/10: $7.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold a book called Balbeck Palymyra.

8/31/10: $23.00 from Amazon.com for a book.


I sold a Chemistry textbook that I found in a dumpster.

9/2/10: $6.00 from Used Kids Records.

I sold two copies of the Lose The Tude 7-inch to Used Kids. I gave this money to Ryan for the “band fund.”

9/2/10: $4.00 from Dreadful Sounds Records.

See above.

9/2/10: $50.00 from Sarah Payne.

My sister is buying my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix off of me in bi-weekly $50.00 installments.

9/4/10: $4.00 from Spoonful Records.

I sold two copies of Lose The Tude’s 7-inch.

9/6/10: $11.00 from Used Kids Records.

Four of my roommates moved out and left a bunch of music they didn’t want in the free bin. I took a lot of it and sold it at Used Kids. I consider this somewhat unethical.

9/7/10: $1.00 from the Monster House.

I found over a dollar of change while cleaning.

9/8/10: $2.00 from my younger self.

I found a two-dollar bill in a collection of foreign currency I had as a child. I was looking through the collection to see if there were any viable currencies that I could exchange at the bank.

9/8/10: $12.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Button Classics
, a design book about old button styles.

9/11/10: $105.00 from the Wexner Center Store.

I sold the store 150 buttons and 10 copies of Arty Party
. The check took five months to reach me. I had to email Matt, the manager, about it a few times. I consider emailing him to have been annoying/troublesome for him and I wish I did not have to do that. OSU, in my experience, has a tendency to lag on payments.

9/13/10: $11.00 from Used Kids Records.

I sold Used Kids a number of tapes and records from the free bin and my own collection.

9/13/10: $5.50 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold a book about the Khmer Rouge.

9/15/10: $12.00 from Thea Liberty Nichols.

Thea is a curator and librarian from Chicago who ordered four copies of Arty Party
for a show at The DePaul University Art Museum.

9/15/10: $20.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

9/15/10: $4.50 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold a Jeff Ott book (Fifteen fame) about domestic abuse and the Bush-era. It was given to me by Scott Lanski when he moved away from Columbus four years ago.

9/16/10: $10.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Russian Art of the Avant-Garde
, a book I found in the refuse pile at the OSU Fine Art library.

9/17/10: $12.50 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Larry Burrows: Vietnam
, a book of war photography from the Vietnam War. After four of my roommates moved out it became clear that the book was an orphan that no one wanted to claim, so I sold it.

9/20/10: $50.00 from Sarah Payne for a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix.

My sister is buying my car for $2,000, on $50.00 installments.

9/21/10: $1.37 from Huntington Bank in currency exchange.

I exchanged $9.37 worth of Hungarian Forints but after the $8.00 exchange fee I only had $1.37. The teller looked at me crossly and said “It's not worth it.”

9/22/10: $27.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Art and Architecture in Medieval France
, a book I found in the free pile as the History of Art Department was moving out of Hayes Hall.

9/23/10: $10.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Possibilities
, a book I found in the dumpster.

9/23/10: $30.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold an English-Pushto Dictionary, a book I found in the free pile as the History of Art Department was moving out of Hayes Hall. It had the look of a very limited press book, no information on the binding, print on only one side of each page, and a hidden author’s name.

9/23/10: $11.50 from Sheldon Art Museum in Nebraska for buttons.

I sold the museum’s store 23 buttons that the buyer hand-picked over the internet through a tedious process.

9/24/10: $10.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold a book about William Blake.

9/25/10: $30.00 from Rag-O-Rama for buttons.

They bought more selectively this time. I used the money to buy a pair of L.L. Bean loafers, a Gap button-up, and a pair of khaki pants made in Egypt.

9/26/10: $5.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Comic Arf
, a book I bought from the Northside branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library for $1.00.

9/27/10: $20.00 from Zac Little for a Peavey practice amplifier.

After the pawnshop rejected my amp, my roommate Zac, of the band saintseneca, generously offered to buy it.

9/28/10: $13.50 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold Encuentros
, a Spanish language book I found in the dumpster.

10/1/10: $34.00 from Amazon.com for a book.

I sold an art publication about Samuel Yellin that I found in the refuse pile of OSU’s Fine Art library. I sold it to a person named Amos Glick.

10/4/10: $1,050.00 from Heidi Steinbrenner for graduating college.

Heidi is my stepmother. She gifted this money to me as a graduation and birthday present.

10/7/10: $20.00 from a Craiglister for a painting easel.

I was moving and regrettably had to sell my easel. The buyer’s husband picked it up. I listed it for $30.00 but she offered $20.00. I took it.

10/10/10: $7.00 from Buffalo Exchange’s Wicker Park location for buttons.

Buffalo Exchange is like Rag-O-Rama but has more franchises.

10/10/10: $27.00 from Lenny and Me for buttons.

The owner said she really wanted a Frida Kahlo pin, which, strangely, I had just sold to Buffalo Exchange.

10/10/10: $9.00 from Inkling for buttons.

Marina told me about Inkling. She knew about them through Wholly Craft and the store was essentially the same thing. While we were there an older academic looking white man and a much younger Asian woman a la Woody Allen and Soon-Yi bought a horrendous Dia de los Muertos painting.

10/10/10: $39.00 from Chicago’s other Buffalo Exchange location for buttons.


The buyer had spiked hair and a Clash t-shirt. 

10/12/10: $11.00 from Knee Deep Vintage in Pilsen for buttons.

The man buying it said, “WHOA” when he saw a button I made of Klaus Kinski’s face in Aguirre: Wrath of God.

10/14/10: $10.00 from Pilsen Vintage and Thrift for buttons.

The woman working there said, “Hey, Buttons!,” calling me by my christian name, Buttons.

10/16/10: $20.00 from Richmond Zine Fest for zines.

I went to Richmond, Virginia for their zine fest. I sold some zines, gave some away, and made buttons all day for an order from Rag-O-Rama.

10/21/10: $250.00 from Rag-O-Rama for buttons.

I sold Rag-O-Rama 500 buttons for their three locations.

TOTAL: $2,538.07

2 comments:

Lux said...

"THE DUMP"

EJ said...

"Not exactly interesting" ?! I think not. Not only interesting, quite impressive.